Just to note that in September 2020, Obi Wan Nairobi went public on Instagram as Christian Craighead. Updates are included here with my original article.
Following on from my earlier article about the UKSF L119A2 in the Obi-Wan Nairobi Kenya pics, this is an assessment of the same trooper’s loadout. It will change as more information and better pics become available.
- Arc’teryx LEAF Assault Balaclava
- Armani jeans – type unknown but rear pocket logo is visible
- Benchmade Phaeton (in jeans pocket)
Craghoppers Kiwi Dusk Blue – old gen (without logo on left sleeve)Fjallraven
- Originally thought to be the LaSportiva Boulder X Mid – but now confirmed as the low top version (see notes at end of article)
Crye Adaptive Vest System (AVS)
- Crye AVS Standard Plate Bag – front only
- Crye AVS 1000 Pack – used instead of rear plate bag
- Crye AVS Padded Shoulder Covers
- Crye AVS 2-band Cummerbund
- Crye AVS Detachable Flap M4
- S&S Admin Flip Pouch and S&S PTT Wing (left side only) – part of S&S’ 2019 ‘All Compatible’ Operator Suite line.
- Crye MBITR Radio Pouches – probably
- Crye LAP Panel
- TG Knives variant – artisanal British knife custom made by made by Tom G (see note at end of article, including a pic of the actual knife as used by Obi Wan)
- Blackhawk SAW Pouch – nearest possibility, generation unknown; mounted on LAP Panel and likely used as a dump pouch or gas mask pouch. Other candidates ruled out include Condor SAW Pouch and Condor Drop Leg
- ITW GrimLoc Carabiner – likely used to route a hydro bladder hose, when hydro is carried in the AVS 1000 Pack
- Locally issued radio – not the usual MBITR; possibly a commercial unit such as ICOM, or possibly even Baofeng
Crye Modular Riggers Belt (MRB)
- Crye SPS Frag Pouch
- Safariland 6354DO – on UBL with leg strap
- Crye Suspenders
- Esstac 1+1 KYWI Pouch Tall
- S&S Precision 9mm Stackable Pouches
- Boo Boo style pouch – possibly old gen (pre-Helium Whisper) Blue Force Gear
- Blackhawk Flash Bang Pouch
- Blue Force Gear Medium Horizontal Utility Pouch – with old style zip-pulls, likely used as an IFAK; with velcro loop attached for patch
- Optactical Edward Teach (Blackbeard) Patch / Black Rifle Coffee Company Blackbeard patch (see note later in article)
The originally stated knife (since removed) was a best guess at the time of original publication.
Prior to the information appearing in Obi Wan/Christian Craighead‘s IG post above, Tom G from TG Knives got in touch with the blog to 100% confirm the connection. I’m really thankful to Tom for letting me know and I have to say having spoken to him, he is definitely one of the good guys.
Keep an eye on TG Knives Instagram as Tom will be opening his order books again soon.
He also confirmed his jeans as Armani, although those had already been ID’d in 2019 from the original pics.
We originally assessed that Obi Wan was wearing mids. However, thanks LaSportiva Boulder X low tops owner Neil P, we then knew that Obi Wan’s shoes were most likely the latter. Here are a few pics kindly provided by Neil, for comparison with reference pics:
Later on in September 2020, Obi Wan/Christian Craighead posted this; confirming shoes, shirt and other apparel brands:
Display of the original kit at Crye HQ:
Lastly, here’s an explanatory graphic from @mapleleaftactical
Plus some additional words from the Christian Craighead IG:
Shout outs are due to the following. Reptile House readers should be following all these guys for on point content, but if not give them a follow:
Also, a huge, huge thanks to ComTac Systems – these Russian guys really know their stuff!
Articles about the real steel UKSF L119A2:
- The Comprehensive UKSF (SAS/SBS) L119A2 Parts and Accessories List
- The original L119A2 primer, here
- GG&G AR15 vertical fore-grip in use here
- Magpul QDM and ASAP QD in use here – part 1
- Magpul QDM and ASAP QD in use here – part 2
- 15.7″ L119A2 upper in use here
- Surefire FA556SA Suppressor here
- GG&G Aimpoint T1 mount in use here
- Magpul MS3 sling in use here
- Magpul ACS stock in use here – part 1
- Magpul ACS stock in use here – part 2
- Colt Canada parts – as used on the L119A2 – here
- Manta Very Low Profile Rail Covers here
- S&S Precision Sling Clip – Old Gen – here
- Inforce WML-type lights in use here
- UKSF Newcastle UK incident part 1 – here
- UKSF Newcastle UK incident part 2 – here
- UKSF Nairobi Kenya incident L119A2 parts breakdown here
- UKSF Nairobi Kenya incident Proctor Way of the Gun Sling here
- UKSF Nairobi Kenya incident LaRue RISR here
- UKSF Nairobi Kenya incident Surefire RM45L M620 Scout mount here
- UKSF Belize ‘Jungle Set-up’ L119A2 parts breakdown here