Words: Rich Norman
Following on from my article about the Way of the Gun sling, one of the most straightforward Obi Wan Nairobi gear IDs back in January 2019 was the LaRue Tactical RISR (Reciprocating Inline Stock Riser).
As far as I know, it’s never been seen in L119A2 pics before or since. Similarly, it isn’t known as an accessory commonly used by UKSF.
Nevertheless, it’s been around as a product for almost ten years – so it’s not a new accessory to the RS world.
Optimised for the CTR, the RISR provides additional height to the cheek weld. However, it still allows the charging handle to be operated.
From the forward position, the device can be slid backwards as the user draws back the charging handle. It then returns to normal under spring tension.
Inspired by the Nairobi photoset I got hold of one. More than perhaps any other component on Obi Wan’s blaster, this one is ruled by ergonomics.
For that reason it either fits the user or it doesn’t.
While it’s an interesting product I could not use the RISR. It put my eye line way above my optic, even with the lower third spacer (as Obi Wan used with his Romeo 4T).
What Colour RISR?
I bought an FDE RISR because at the time I didn’t really think about the colour Obi Wan was using. That said, my analysis now is that the RISR in question is black underneath the paint – not FDE.
Where to buy?
More articles, relating to the real steel L119A2:
- The Comprehensive UKSF (SAS/SBS) L119A2 Parts and Accessories List
- The original L119A2 primer, here
- GG&G AR15 vertical fore-grip in use here
- Magpul QDM and ASAP QD in use here
- 15.7″ L119A2 upper in use here
- Surefire FA556SA Suppressor here
- GG&G Aimpoint T1 mount in use here
- Magpul MS3 sling in use here
- Magpul ACS stock in use here – part 1
- Colt Canada parts – as used on the L119A2 – here
- Manta Very Low Profile Rail Covers as used on the L119A2 here
- UKSF Newcastle raid pics part 1
- UKSF Newcastle raid pics part 2
- UKSF Nairobi Kenya incident L119A2 parts breakdown here
- UKSF Nairobi Kenya incident Proctor Way of the Gun Sling here
- UKSF Belize ‘Jungle Set-up’ L119A2 parts breakdown here
- Confirmation bias (and the HSP Thorntail offset light mount) here
- UKSF Ecosystem: S&S Precision Sling Clip – Old Gen – here
- Inforce WML-type lights in use here
- Magpul ACS stock in use here – part 2