Words: Rich Norman
Pics: Rich Norman, with Executive Production by Milsimminded
I didn’t expect to be doing another update on my AFSOC blaster, but delays on the new build have meant my EOTech G33 magnifier landed before I sent the current blaster’s lower to Tackleberry.
It’s given me the opportunity to take a new set of pics and to perform a sterile test of the updated configuration – utilising both the EOTech EXPS3-0 (which I reviewed here) and the G33; EOTech’s third generation 3x magnifier. I’ll be reviewing the latter in due course.
First impressions are good. Quite aside from its looks – which is 90% of what this is all about, let’s be clear – it’s a lot more diminutive and lighter than expected.
Switched to the side, I expected it to alter the balance of the gun, but it doesn’t do anything detrimental.
Adding the G33 may even improve handling by subtly changing the point of balance – particularly considering I’ve not needed to move the EXPS forward of its preferred position.
It does mean, however, I had to lose the Matech BUIS, which is no great loss. There is enough rail space per se, but the Matech is so lumpen that it conflicts with the G33 Switch to Side Mount’s lever.
A (final?) parts list follows:
- Tackleberried 2008 Systema PTW
- Cerakote Armour Black Prime receiver set
- Generic Surefire FH556-212A*
- HAO 14.5” SOCOM aluminium barrel
- Daniel Defense Omega 7.0 RIS
- KAC 97098 Forward Pistol Grip
- Element LA-5 FDE (just a prop for pics)*
- EOTech EXPS3-0
- EOTech G33
- Hogue grip
- Colt trigger guard
- BCM Gunfighter charging handle
- LMT castle nut
- LMT receiver extension (mil spec)
- CQD rear sling point
- Vltor IMOD Standard (mil spec) FDE
- Tackleberried ‘Super Float’ Magpul Pmag
- Magpul Ranger Plate FDE
* Denotes repro
You can follow the evolution of the build here.