photo imagejpg1_zps42911908.jpg

It’s the start of painting season at The Reptile House and I managed to complete one of two longstanding commitments today.

 photo imagejpg1_zps815e87e0.jpg

George’s blaster is built for fast paced, aggressive airsoft. It’s extremely light, due to the 11.5″ RS Noveske NSR and Project PTW custom length Dytac aluminium outer barrel. It has great balance and handles really well. Under the bonnet, the motor is Tac’d – so you know reliability comes as standard.

 photo imagejpg2_zpsd89e1ce8.jpg

George was trusting enough to hand over his blaster, with the attitude that I could do whatever I wanted with the paint job…

 photo imagejpg1_zpsf2e5f6ba.jpg
 photo imagejpg2_zpsff86dd05.jpg

I wanted to establish a 2014 version of my Big Net paint job, which would be a lot cleaner than the 2013 iteration on my M4.

 photo imagejpg3_zps4ff6bcbe.jpg

Similarly, I didn’t want to rely on using a secondary, smaller net pattern to cover up my mistakes. This had to be a smooth, methodical one-take delivery. No thinking about it after the laborious planning stage, just doing it.

 photo imagejpg4_zpsa80dfbd8.jpg
 photo imagejpg5_zpsfcaa136a.jpg

I’ve seen quite a few excellent Big Net patterns since I painted my M4 last summer, so I wanted to add a new twist: the pattern would be bolder and more splintered and angular. As such, the end product had to be something which made people second guess the technique I’d used.

 photo imagejpg6_zps9651f6c1.jpg
 photo imagejpg1_zps7da2117e.jpg

Since my last stint at painting, my tastes have changed. It also turned out that my style had changed, too. I still only have the one style, though 🙂

There’s a lot of preparation work to do on a job like this, but once that’s out of the way the colours just fly on. We were blessed with a warm sunny day today, but I used a hair dryer between coats, to assure the finish stayed smooth and matt.

 photo imagejpg6_zps515cdede.jpg
 photo imagejpg7_zpsf8b5ef63.jpg
 photo imagejpg8_zps86ece9aa.jpg

I started, as usual, with a base of Humbrol Dark Earth 29. Just one coat. It doesn’t really matter if it’s patchy, but I do like to make it as smooth and even as I can.

 photo imagejpg1_zpsac72be45.jpg
 photo imagejpg2_zps390d9f3a.jpg

Next I laid my cargo net over the blaster, pulled it about a bit using various objects and sprayed through using Krylon and Halfords paints. Brown, Khaki, Sand, Green.

 photo imagejpg3_zpsf678e88c.jpg
 photo imagejpg4_zpsca537630.jpg
 photo imagejpg5_zps836aa5d0.jpg

I’m pretty pleased with the result. I must admit I found it a stressful experience as it’s the first time I’ve sprayed a mate’s gun; it’s amazing how much more care I took over this than I did my own 🙂

 photo imagejpg9_zpsd096f425.jpg